All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never before have many scientific breakthroughs and new strategies emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of people the opportunity to minimize or remove their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and quick way to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser.
3. Choose a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician doesn't understand can injure you.
4. Ask for information on your physician's index LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. Discover another one if your physician will not inform you. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute. The prospective cost savings are unworthy the risk of receiving less than skilled care!
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a somewhat various outcome. The very best surgeon worldwide cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the advantages: for a lot of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the eyesight of millions of individuals around the world.